The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $cookielaw - Line: 21 - File: global.php(961) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/global.php(961) : eval()'d code 21 errorHandler->error_callback
/global.php 961 eval
/showthread.php 28 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $unreadreports - Line: 54 - File: global.php(961) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(961) : eval()'d code 54 errorHandler->error_callback
/global.php 961 eval
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$cookielaw_footer - Line: 22 - File: global.php(1070) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(1070) : eval()'d code 22 errorHandler->error_callback
/global.php 1070 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canviewdeletionnotice" - Line: 117 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 117 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canviewdeletionnotice" - Line: 414 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 414 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canviewdeletionnotice" - Line: 939 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 939 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1121 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canviewdeletionnotice" - Line: 939 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 47 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Home | Contact | Privacy | About |

{myadvertisements[zone_1]}
Growing Maggot for Animal Feed: My Little Experiment
With the high price of animal feed, growing maggots is beginning to make sense. Maggots come from flies. When flies lay eggs, the eggs pass through several stages before they turn into flies. One of the stages is the maggot stage.
You can use the maggot to feed fish, chickens and other animals.  I’m targeting fish and chickens but I’ll be starting with chickens.

Growing The Maggots
To grow maggot, you need cheap inputs like manure, kitchen waste and sawdust or rice hull. I mixed rice hull with manure (my layers’ droppings) in a bowl (let’s call this growing bowl) and added just enough water to make it moist but not wet. I then mix thoroughly and placed some kitchen waste on this mixture to attract a lot of flies. You can use soup, fruits or anything that will attract a lot of flies. I used my dog’s leftover garri balls mixed with soup.

Note: The growing bowl you used should have holes in the bottom so that excess water can go out. These holes must be small so that some maggots won’t escape.

After the flies have finished laying their eggs. cover the bowl with something and place under a shaded area. Protect it from ants, lizards, chickens etc. I used chicken wire to cover them and finally cover with zinc. The chicken wire will prevent lizards and the zinc will stop chickens. I placed the growing bowls on a raised platform. The little kerosene I sprayed on the platform will stop ants. In few hours time you’ll see some small maggots. Leave them for 5 days before you harvest.

Harvesting
Spread net over a bowl (harvesting bowl).

Place the maggot-filled substrate on the net. Spread it thinly so that they can’t hide under. Fear of light will make them to force themselves through the tiny holes in the net.

Mine were big and some could not pass through the net. This was because I harvested when they were 8 days old. This makes harvesting very tedious because I have to pick many by hand. Next time I’ll harvest when they are smaller, say 5 days old. Note that the older the maggots, the less nutrient they’ll contain – and the less digestible they’ll become. Young maggots, though smaller, are more nutritious and more digestible.
To prevent the maggots from climbing the walls of the harvesting bowl, dust it with ash or rice hull dust. I used rice hull dust.

Maggots like hiding away from light, so it will be good if you place something in the harvesting bowl where they can hide under. I used rice hull but later regretted it because I later have to separate the maggots from it. Next time I’ll be using a plastic cover, making provision for access roads they’ll use to crawl under the plastic.

If you leave them beyond 10 days, they’ll turn into flies and fly away.

Harvest was bountiful. It makes sense to do this large scale.

To process, I poured very hot water on them. This will kill every germs in it and makes it more digestible. I left if in the hot water for a while before draining.

I drain out excess water.

Then I spray it on a net to dry.

The best way to dry maggot is on a suspended net.

I’m looking forward to do this in a larger scale. Some people travel all the way to Songhai farm, Benin Republic to learn this among other things. Now I’ve tried it and saw the harvest, I strongly believed it will be profitable. Fly is free and everywhere. 

Just thinking – In a war situation, isn’t this a very good source of super cheap protein?
@henlus, thanks for dis priceless and resourceful info. Pls how do u know when d flies ve finished laying their eggs as u rightly pointed out in ur write up. Thanks
I just leave the growing bowl open the first day. Just cover it with a chicken wire to protect from chickens.
Awesome post! This will be good for fish farmers!
Update: I finally dry the maggots under the sun. It took 2 days to dry very well.

The dry maggots weigh 109 grams.

Thanks for d info and update. How u not going to grind it to powder to produce mag-meal? Thanks. Expecting more of ur updates
Before I do that I'll have a reasonable qty first, like 25kg.
Pls did u feed the maggots to ur chicks? I thought maggots are used in fish feed.
Maggots can be used to feed any animal of ur choice.
hmm intresting
Is the maggot sterile?
hmm very interesting how do feeding maggot affect broilers chicken
I've not tried feeding them to broilers though. But if you can balance the nutrients you'll get good result.
thanks for this admin
wlcm ajoke1.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to Encourage Goats to Drink more Water Henlus 0 51 12-10-2023, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Henlus
  Melange Farming of Catfish more profitable Sendrix 0 54 10-19-2023, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Sendrix
  Pig Farming: Hot Useful Tips Henlus 37 394 10-01-2023, 01:36 PM
  Space Requirement for Layers Hilux 1 2,325 09-28-2023, 07:27 PM
  Goats: How much feed will a goat need per day Manihot 15 20,590 09-17-2023, 10:02 PM
  Broiler Feed and Growth Chart Henlus 6 158 03-24-2023, 11:10 PM
  House Size For Chicken Charly 2 4,209 03-15-2023, 07:38 PM
  Chickens: Feed Consumption and Growth Rate Chart? Trimex 4 3,811 01-20-2023, 06:16 AM
Last Post: Hunter
  Prevention and Treatment of Coccidiosis in Chickens Henlus 15 12,578 12-04-2022, 10:47 AM
  Chickens: Chicken Infected with Fowlpox Even After Vaccination? FarmTech 7 5,795 12-04-2022, 07:34 AM
Last Post: FarmTech